In the words of Jim Kouzes, for many in the business world, knowing how to create a spirit of community and appreciation does not come as easily as creating deadlines for meetings or driving results.
For as long as we can recall, business has been wired for task-orientation, results-focus, and innovative ways to progress. Today’s business world is no exception:
- Think of the Middle East
- Saudi Arabia is acutely focused on creating the city of the future, Neom, as a means to reach its 2030 goals
- Think of the European Union:
- So many countries are attempting to wade through the quagmire of a coalition that seemingly no longer serves as partners want
- Think of Asia:
- Singapore is redesigning its economic priorities, rotating around its net-zero emissions 2050 timeline
- India’s continuing focus on the WFP to fend off crippling societal pressure
So much task can marginalize the human side of leadership.
Any ‘task focus’ can be both a driver and a divider, a double-edged sword. Are you ready to change, and embed the human side of leadership by linking a community spirit to collaborative results? To ‘encourage the heart’, build a culture which appreciates contributions publicly, personalize recognition (never delegate this!), celebrate collaborative and community victories, all while supporting positive and well-publicized expectations.
Today’s workforce is changing rapidly. Connect to their needs or suffer the consequences.